Halloween is my absolute favorite Holiday so when Nestlé approached me about creating some original recipes using their spooktacular new Butterfinger Halloween treats, I was ecstatic!
The new Butterfinger Peanut Butter Cup Skulls are individually molded Skull-shaped treats, coated in creamy milk chocolate, and filled with smooth peanut butter and crispety crunchety bits of Butterfinger. This spooky skulls are perfect for trick-or-treating, candy bowls and of course, Halloween themed recipes! When deciding what I wanted to create with the skulls, I was reminded of one of my favorite desserts as a kid, dirt cups.
As a Mom now, I can appreciate the easy simplicity of dirt cups and how quickly they can come together. Using the Butterfinger Peanut Butter Cup Skulls, I created a spin on the classic dirt cup to create Butterfinger Spooky Skull Dirt Graveyards. You can feel free to use pre-made pudding, instant pudding or even Greek yogurt to recreate at home! You can also play around with the toppings, I used cocoa powder but crumbled cookies or graham crackers will also work, and I used the SweeTARTS Skulls & Bones for an extra touch of Halloween flair. For a recent party I hosted, I served in individual shot glasses for easy grab & go bites, but you could also create in a larger pan if you wanted to have guests scoop and serve themselves— again lots of simple variations to make it EASY for any type of party or age group.
The other new treat Butterfinger has out this fall are the Butterfinger Peanut Butter Cup Minis—individually wrapped, these are a take on classic peanut butter cups but with an added dose of crispety crunchety Butterfinger bits, and man are they addicting! With fall themed gold and orange foil, these bite-sized treats are a colorful, festive (and delicious!) addition to candy dishes around the home or office. I also utilized them for two fun and festive recipes: Butterfinger Peanut Butter Cup Minis Spiders and the irresistible Butterfinger Peanut Butter Cup Minis Dip— this was a HUGE hit at a recent party.
The Spiders are easy to assemble and fun for the whole family to put together— you could eat them on their own, or add on top of a festive cake for creepy crawly décor. The other great part is that you can use any type of cookie as the base— store-bought, pre-made dough or your favorite recipe from scratch—again I’m all about delicious but EASY recipes for the whole family.
The Butterfinger Peanut Butter Cup Minis Dip whips together in just a few minutes, and my guests loved that I served it with more savory crackers and chips to contrast against the sweet, creamy deliciousness of the dip. I chopped up the Butterfinger Peanut But Cup Minis for this recipe, but you could really include any of your favorite Butterfinger products cut into bite sized pieces and chunks. You can also use low-fat or fat-free cream cheese if you want a lighter option to serve to guests.
And while it’s not a party without food, it’s also not a party without spirited décor, especially at Halloween! I combined the best of both worlds and created three awesome décor and gifting ideas that all incorporate the new Butterfinger treats: Yummy Mummies, Crispety Crunchety Cornucopias and Butterfinger Boo-quests.
My personal favorite is the yummy mummies! I used generic aluminum cans from old staples in the pantry and unbeknownst to me, the metal gave the gauze a vintage look—chic without even trying! I filled the mummies with the Butterfinger Peanut Butter Cup Skulls and Minis and placed around the living room as décor. Then at the end of the party, the Yummy Mummies pulled double duty as party favors! I also did a second version using glass jars (instead of tin cans) and placed electronic votive candles inside for spooky mood lighting.
The second of the décor ideas, the Crispety Crunchety Cornucopias, also pulled double duty as décor and party favors. I placed one on each table setting and after the meal, guests could take the festive fall treat home to enjoy. I got a lot of questions how I created these adorable cornucopias and the answer will surprise you—sugar ice cream cones, water and a microwave! How easy is that?!
The last idea I had was to create Bewitching Butterfinger Boo-quets with ghosts, and this was seriously the easiest craft ever! Using the Butterfinger Peanut Butter Cup Minis, lollipop sticks (you could also use skewers or tooth picks) and tissues I created the little ghosts. I then placed in center pieces as the finishing touch on my spooktacular tablescape. You can use flower pots, herb boxes, glass vases—really anything! Fill the interior with floral foam or Styrofoam and then poke in the Butterfinger ghosts, twigs, fake grass, etc. to complete your Boo-quet.
For more of my Butterfinger spooktacular recipes and décor ideas, pop over to the Butterfinger Pinterest Page, and be sure to follow Butterfinger on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter with #BolderThanBoo for more Halloween recipes and product news.
Butterfinger Spooky Skull Dirt Graveyard
Makes: 4 servings
What you’ll need:
4 BUTTERFINGER Peanut Butter Cup Skulls (available in single pack or 2-pack)
2 cups prepared chocolate pudding or chocolate yogurt (instant or pre-made works)
¼ cup NESTLÉ TOLL HOUSE® Baking Cocoa
Handful of SweeTARTS Skulls & Bones
Tombstone toothpicks or other graveyard inspired décor (optional)
Note: Feel free to use regular, low-sugar or low-fat varieties of pudding or yogurt, whatever works best for your family
- Spoon ½ cup (4 ounces) chocolate pudding or yogurt into glass jar or ramekin
- Sprinkle cocoa powder on top to make the “dirt”
- Place Butterfinger Peanut Butter Cup Skull on top of graveyard pudding, leaning the skull on the back of the jar or ramekin
- Sprinkle SweeTARTS Skulls and Bones on top of the “dirt”
- Insert Tombstone toothpick or other graveyard inspired décor (optional)
- Repeat until all graveyards are assembled. Chill in fridge until time to serve
Butterfinger Peanut Butter Cup Mini Spiders
Makes: 12 cookies
What you’ll need:
12 oz package, BUTTERFINGER Peanut Butter Cup Minis
12 oz package NESTLÉ TOLL HOUSE® Premiere White Morsels
1 dozen Snicker doodle or peanut butter cookies (store-bought or homemade)
Approximately 24 chocolate-covered pretzels
Icing (as needed)
Peanut butter (as needed)
- Using a smidge of peanut butter to glue two white chocolate chips to Butterfinger Peanut Butter Cup Mini and dot them with icing to create spider “eyes”
- Break off pretzel parts to create “legs” (4 on each side)
- Using a dollop of peanut butter, spread onto one edge of the cookie. Place spider body on top, and using a little more peanut butter, glue pretzel legs to the spider body.
- Draw a spider web on other side of cookie using icing
- Repeat until all cookies are assembled. Have fun getting creative, and let the kids join in!
Butterfinger Peanut Butter Minis Dip
Served with pretzels and your favorite cracker, this dip will have your guests hovering by your snack table!
Makes: 1 medium sized bowl of dip
What you’ll need:
12 oz. cream cheese, softened
1 ½ cups smooth peanut butter
1 cup salted butter, at room temp.
1 cup brown sugar
4 tsp vanilla extract
2 pinch salt
4 cups chopped Butterfinger Peanut Butter Cup Minis
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together butter and brown sugar until smooth.
- Add in the cream cheese and cream together again, about 2 minutes. Your cream cheese must be soft in order to mix in well.
- Add the peanut butter, vanilla, brown sugar, salt and vanilla and then mix again until everything is well incorporated.
- Taste and if you would like it sweeter, add more brown sugar.
- Fold in your chopped Butterfinger Peanut Butter Cup Minis.
- Refrigerate for at least 4 hours, but best if overnight.
- Before serving, remove from fridge and let soften for about 15 minutes. Enjoy!
These mummies are a GREAT and easy way to display your Butterfinger candies AND illuminate your Halloween party
What you’ll need:
Empty Aluminum can
Empty glass jar
White glue (Modge Podge works well)
Assorted Butterfinger candies (Butterfinger Peanut Butter Skulls, Fun Size Bars, Cups, etc.)
Battery operated votive candle
- Cut the roll of gauze in half so that you have two thinner rolls of gauze
- Mix the glue 50/50 with water in a bowl
- Soak the roll of gauze in the glue mixture until the roll is saturated; squeeze out excess glue from roll
- Starting at the opening of the can, wrap the gauze along the top edge of the can and continue to wrap down the can until you have reached the bottom of the can, cutting off any excess length
- Separate the gauze on the can with your fingers to create a space for eyes and the mouth
- Repeat with the Jar; Allow both to try overnight
- Glue the googly eyes into the space left for the eye sockets (get creative with this, allow some of the bandages to go slightly over the eyes)
- Fill the can with your favorite Butterfinger candies; fill the Jar with a battery operated votive candle. Place both on your Halloween table as part of the tablescape or place setting
Bewitching Butterfinger Boo-quets with Ghosts
Add a little scare to your Halloween table with these edible centerpieces
PART 1: Ghosts
Makes: 8 ghosts
What you’ll need:
8 BUTTERFINGER Peanut Butter Cup Minis
Roll of white tracing paper
White package string
8 toothpicks or skewers
- Spear a Butterfinger Peanut Butter Cup Mini on the larger flat side with the skewer
- Cut a 4” X 4” square out of the tracing paper
- Put the candy skewer side up on the tracing paper
- Wrap the paper around the Butterfinger and tie the string around the paper to keep synch it to the candy
- Draw two eyes and a mouth on your little ghost and give him some personality!
PART 2: Candy Boo-quets
What you’ll need:
Floral foam or Styrofoam to fit inside the container
Moss to cover foam
Assorted Butterfinger Candies (Fun Size Bars, Fun Size Cups, Peanut Butter Cup Skulls, etc.)
Skewers or cut branches
Hot glue gun
- Place the floral foam inside of your container
- Using the hot glue gun glue the skewer or branches to the backside of your Butterfinger candy
- Spear into the floral foam
- Spear in some of the Butterfinger ghosts
- Decorate the top with moss
Crispety Crunchety Candy Cornucopia
These are a fun and festive way to provide take away candy for all your guests!
Makes: 8 cornucopias
What you’ll need:
8 sugar cones
Butterfinger Peanut Butter Cup Minis
Assorted fun size Butterfinger chocolates (Butterfinger Fun Size Bars, Butterfinger Bites and Butterfinger Peanut Butter Cup Minis)
Clear plastic wrap
Cup with water
- Soak the bottom point of your sugar cone in water for about 30 seconds; fill the cone with water as well to wet the inside and then empty
- Microwave the cone for 20 seconds until the end is pliable
- Using a chopstick, flip the end over to roll it up (to create the shape of the cornucopia)
- Allow it to dry and harden
- Fill it with you favorite Butterfinger fun size candies
- Cover with clear plastic wrap and tie with raffia
- Trim extra wrap around the cornucopia