A few weeks ago I stopped by La Duni Latin Kitchen in Dallas, Texas. Duni Borga, the co-owner and pastry chef taught me how to make the traditional Latin American cookie, Alfajores! Only Duni gives it a wonderful twist, 3 different fillings, Chocolate, Homemade Nutella and of course, Dulce De Leche and a chocolate topping!
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt 2 sticks unsalted butter (8 oz.)
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
1 tsp. vanilla extract
18 oz. dark semi sweet dark chocolate
6 oz. milk
4 oz. heavy whipping cream
2 oz. corn syrup
1. Mix milk,heavycream and cornsyrupinapot and place onstove top to simmer.
2. Remove from heat, add chocolate slowly and mix by hand making sure all chocolate is fully melted.
3. With immersion mixer fully immersed into the chocolate mixer finish mixing. Make sure not to add air bubbles to the mixture.
4. Place in a bowl cover tight and refrigerate overnight till set.
Dulce de Leche
Containers may be purchased at any Latin Super Market or in your specialty stores.
Home Made Nutella
Use the same recipe for the chocolate filling except substitute the dark chocolate for milk chocolate
Before mixing with an immersion mixer add 1 1/2 cups of finely ground blanched and toasted hazelnuts and then finish mixing well with the immersion mixer.
4 cups of melted to tempered chocolate. (milk, dark or white)
PUTTING THE ALFAJORES TOGETHER!
Mixing, Baking and Assembly Instructions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Have cookie sheets ready covered with parchment paper.
1. Sift together flour,baking powder and salt
2. Soften butter and sugar in a mixer with a paddle attachment, (do not over mix)
3. Add egg and vanilla till fully incorporated
4. Add flour and heavy cream. Continue to mix till fully incorporated.
5. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before rolling.
6. Roll dough on a flat-floured surface to 1/4 inch thick and cut into shapes.
7. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-22 minutes till golden
8. Set to cool on cooling racks.
9. Take one cookie on bottom side up and spread with a knife desired filling, place another cookie bottom side down on top creating a sandwich.
10. Dip into melted chocolate till fully covered. Shake excess chocolate off and place onto parchment paper till chocolate sets.
Here is the Downloadable PDF of the recipe!
And here is the link to the segment I did on La Duni Latin kitchen on The Chew on ABC!
Find me, Evette Rios, on Facebook!